IHGB Movie Review: ‘Spy’
Starring: Melissa McCarthy, Jason Statham, Rose Byrne and Jude Law
Think James Bond, but replace 007 with an adorable woman who loves to bake, and just so happens to excel in combat training and shooting things.
- I think this is going to be the film that seals the deal for Melissa McCarthy as a powerhouse actress in Hollywood. Read: She can carry a movie by herself.
- She takes on several different personalities going undercover. Each are more brilliant than the last.
- As a lover of hair pieces (no judgement), those of you who feel my compassion for a good, fun wig will LOVE this movie. It will make you want to take out your fake ponytail and wear it to dinner one night this week. What? You don’t have a fake hair piece? Is it weird that I have three?
- I absolutely love that McCarthy is in an action movie, kicking butt by the way, and she doesn’t have the body of a super model.
- She is hilarious. Her comedic timing is precise. Her cadence carries each scene beautifully.
- Jude Law is hot. So is Jason Stratham. Everyone wins.
- Jude Law is funny. So is Jason Stratham. Everyone wins again.
- 50 Cent has a small part and it is glorious!
- You will love to hate Rose Byrne’s character.
- Let the record show that I had to cover my eyes in some places. Due to the R-Rated nature of the film, there was some graphic stuff involving a kitchen knife, among other things. Since this movie was directed by the same guy who commanded The Heat and Bridesmaids, you can imagine how some scenes are both disturbing, but also manage to make you giggle. I could actually hear people in the theater feeling bad about laughing so hard.
I would definitely watch Spy while it’s out on the big screen. It’s good for a date night (guys will enjoy it too!) or for a fun movie with the girls.